Wednesday, 8 February 2017

A Little Project

One of the things on my to do list this year was to clear off my desk and reorganize it so that it was a better fit. I use my desk to write and to craft and it isn't as big as I'd like so things have to be stored but also be handy. Not an easy task when you are a hoarder like me. I save everything and that causes a mountain to erupt on my desk. In an effort to make my desk more efficient, everything must have a place, and be put in its place so that order is maintained. This is my weak area and I tend to stack things, not only that I have a habit of jotting notes and clipping them to things on my desk. To try to combat notes getting lost or forgotten until it's too late, I thought it was about time I made a small bulletin board to pin my notes to so they stay in view and I can actually remember the things I make notes about.

I bought some gorgeous postal themed fabric a while ago for just this purpose but, it too, got lost in the shuffle. During my massive clear out, and I mean massive...I have taken bags to the charity shops and sent envelopes of things to unsuspecting people on SendSomething...my desk is now emerging from the wreckage it had become and I have the perfect place to put my little notice board.

It wasn't difficult at all to make. Here is a short tutorial for you in case you'd like to make one too.  All you need are a few basic things which you probably have around the house: A bit of corrugated cardboard, a large piece of fabric, a few yards of ribbon, a stapler and a few fancy pins.  If you want you can do like I did and use some acrylic dots to add a little something extra.



First, I layered the cardboard.  You want to make it thick enough so that when you push a pin through it the pin won't poke out the other side. I ended up having three layers, just to give you a guide to work with.  I lined the pieces of cardboard up and glued them all together. Once the glue was dry I decided on the size I wanted and cut the cardboard but you might want to cut the cardboard first and then glue it together.  It wasn't too difficult to cut it with my x-acto knife but cutting first makes more sense.  

                       
Next, I cut the fabric.  Make sure you have enough extra so you can wrap it around to the back of the cardboard and have enough space to staple it in place.  I added eight  inches to the length and width so that I had an extra four inches of fabric to work with on each side. I ironed the fabric before I started so that it would lay flat, then I smoothed it over the cardboard so there were no bulges  or folds and then stapled it onto the board. Next I criss-crossed ribbon on the board, pulling it taut and stapling it on the back.  

I finished it off with the pretty pins on the places where the fabric crossed to hold them in place.  You don't havfe to pin the ribbon or glue it anywhere else, this is so you can slide your notes under it. 


 I used upholstery pins to hold my ribbon in place, but you can use thumb tacks or even glue dots or glue to hold it down.  Once the pins were in position, I added a few acrylic dots just to give it a nice finishing touch. 





I think it turned out very nice and now I can just tuck my notes under the ribbons and don't even have to worry about pins. It's just the right size to sit on my desk and leans up against the mountain of containers which house things like brads, buttons, charms and other bits and bobs for embellishing my crafts.







  

10 comments:

  1. That's lovely and you make it look so easy. I would like to have one of those over my desk to house my letters that need responding to. That would be so much better than the dreary blank spot I see before me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is quite simple and very handy. Putting your letters on the board is an excellent idea. You could see at a glance what letters need responding to.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome. It's an easy, non-frustrating craft, you'll love making it. Letter in the making to you, I was laid low with a stomach virus, but I'm back in action now!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty. Erin made one for her first apartment. Hmm. You have me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what ideas you have come up with. I love your creativity!

      Delete
  4. Found you on sendsomething and have a letter ready to go tomorrow. So glad I found that and this. It's like the promised-land... at last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daryl, welcome aboard! I look forward to your letter. I remember most of those shows you are writing your radio drama about, and want to hear more about your project.

      Delete
    2. Ohhh! Glad I checked this journal again. Yes, a pen pal got me started. I did social networking and it was just 75% awful. I have learned how to send one CD at a time overseas in a cost-effective way, and the CDs are better for sure. I figured out the hard way that is the best thing to do. So thank you. (Now hopefully I sent the flyer with all the pictures. Ha ha.)

      Btw: Cultural differences shouldn't be a problem. I've been told a few times people thought I was from the U.K. until they heard my regular voice. Hee hee, sometimes it's a good thing to be raised on public television and the BBC. ^_^

      Delete
  5. I am looking forward to receiving your mail. BTW, I'm from the Good Ole US of A too, Philly, PA.

    ReplyDelete