Saturday, 2 July 2016


  Tea for 2  6






                                                      

Last month the Queen celebrated her 90th birthday so all around the UK people were hosting tea parties in her honour. I'd wanted to attend one of the many tea parties, but living rurally in the middle of acres of sheep, cows and apple orchards, I didn't have that pleasure. Not for want of trying; I'd even gone out and bought a hat. You probably know that to the British woman, a hat, is still quite a statement of fashion and as I adore hats I was determined.


As time went on, I couldn't manage to find a venue that was hosting a tea party in my area and conceded defeat. Then one day in town, I walked into a charity shop, saw these little beauties and an idea was born.




I decided to host another postal tea party. I'd done this before in honour of her majesty’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012. That tea party, although a success, had many wrinkles to iron out. This time there would be no icing melting off the cupcakes and onto the plate in a puddle, nor would my rapt attention in getting everything just right result in my tea towel smouldering on the stove top. Items would not be left out only to be posted separately, causing confusion and finally, all tea party parcels would be mailed at the same time. Sounds simple, but first time around was a bit of a fiasco so this time the incontrovertible list was employed to keep me on track.


I set out to find sweet and savoury treats as well as nice teas to offer my guests; things that would be travel friendly in the post. For example things that would not melt if they were to go to warmer climes. I also endeavoured to have variety of tastes. I decided on two different cakes and shortbread biscuits, as well as savoury crackers in three flavours. Ideally, little finger sandwiches would have been more apropos but sending anything like that through the post would not have worked on any level, so the crackers added a nice touch of savoury to compliment the sweets. Choosing the tea was probably not as easy. I wanted it to be a traditional tea, but also something the guests may not have tried before to give a little mystery. In the end, I decided to include two teas, the first an English tea, appropriately called London Tea and the second a tea, more of a desert tea called Cherry Bakewell, which is reminiscent of a beloved English pudding (read dessert.) Finally, for the tea there were demerara sugar cubes for a bit of panache.


Once the food items were found, I shopped for vintage napkins and made buntings just for a hint of old-fashioned style. Invitations were made from British themed note cards. At first I was going to craft the invites but came across the note cards while searching for something else and decided they were just the thing. Tea towels with scenes of Buckingham Palace added a nice touch too and just for fun I sent Union Jack cupcake papers and cake picks depicting iconic British things. I packaged things with ribbons and lovely stickers and I was very satisfied with the overall presentation.  


My next feat was to set the scene and dress the table. I love linens and probably buy more than I should but when I see these vintage lovelies in the charity shops, things that were cherished by someone, I can't help but buy them and give them new life. I chose a spot in the garden near the wisteria that grows up the side of our house and the scent added another nuance to my tea party. I found a beautiful table cloth, added a small vase of flowers from my garden, and set out the tea things. My chair was cushioned with pretty little vintage pillows that were either crocheted or embroidered, and I brought out my parasol just in case the sun became too hot. It was an absolutely glorious day, the sun shining bright and a gentle breeze blowing. Pictures were taken, by the hundred, to get just the right view to include in my parcels then, finally, I sat down to tea and enjoyed the mid afternoon in such a pleasant way. Like Mrs. Duffy, one of my esteemed guests, I wrote as I savoured my tea and couldn't imagine a nicer way to pass the afternoon.

I hope my guests were as pleased as I was and from their comments, I think they were. Some of my guests, like my dearest friend Limner, have mentioned the tea party on their blog, and I couldn't be happier that she enjoyed it so much. Lady Pamela, another of my honoured guests, sounded delighted when she talked of received her parcel. I aspired to create something that was pretty, and at the same time offer a charming afternoon tea with all the trimmings and I think I may just have got it right this time. Everything went smoothly...no smouldering tea towels or melting cupcakes.


PS.  Since I made this post, another of my lovely guests, Jen, posted about her tea party experience which you can view here.  Lady Pamela has written further on her  tea party too, and it sounds like she had a ball.

Each tea party has a magic of its own and I'm so enjoying reading about them all.  It's amazing how one little idea can blossom into something so wonderful.  It pays to think outside the envelope every now and then, don't you agree?



8 comments:

  1. Everything was wonderful!! The savory crackers were the perfect substitute for finger sandwiches. They were delicious and travel so much better than sandwiches do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree about the finger sandwiches, believe me I did try to include some sort of sandwich, but it didn't work out no matter what I came up with!

      Delete
  2. Yes, you did get it perfectly "right"! It was pure delight. We had our tea party. I packed up the lovelies in my tea party wicker basket and off we went to our friend's home. We set everything up and I hope to get a post up soon to share. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled you enjoyed everything. It is so much fun to hear about everyone's tea party.

      Delete
  3. TEA TIME With ANNA ....what a great title for a tea party blog.♥ Thanks for the backstory and fitting us into your life,you make my life sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea is just one of those things that gets people talking isn't it? I'm sure there will be more tea parties...and I've got another scathingly brilliant idea forming in the back of my mind. That will come much later though.

      Delete
  4. Oh, did a post last week about the tea party! Here is the link: Tea Party in a Box

    It was awesome, and I mean I was in awe of all that you had done! A letter is also on the way, Anna. Thanks again for a marvelous surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link Jen. It was really nice to see how you enjoyed your tea party. I still think I had the most fun putting it together!

    ReplyDelete