Thursday, 14 April 2016

                   A Note From the Past





Restoring an old house is hard work but there are times when it all pays off. My son and I have been stripping wallpaper in one of the upstairs rooms and while it's not such a daunting job now that we have the wallpaper steamer, it still requires patience and stamina. As I work I contemplate who I will write to next and formulate part of the letter in my mind. It takes the tedium out of removing wallpaper for one thing and happily keeps my mind occupied which serves to help keep me on track with my Letter Writing Month challenge.

The other day while we were working away in Cynthia's room, so called as we found her calling card under the floor boards while doing some plumbing, my son shouted with delight as he began to pull away a strip of paper and discover there was something written underneath. It was just a small note but it made our day to find it. There was a circle with the signature and date of the man who had wallpapered the room.

Mr. Morris may have thought he was being cheeky leaving a secret message under the paper which only the next decorator would find, but for us it was a message from the past which gave us a little more insight into when the room had last been redecorated. There were other telling things under the wallpaper, like bits of wood put in at regular intervals that tell us there was some ornate valance above the window, but it was just that little circle of words that captured our imagination and our work became more animated as we wondered what else we may find as we scraped away.

We did find other writing, jottings from the builder who installed the sink complete diagram and the words Basin and Mirror along with arrows showing where they were to be set. They were interesting finds too but we still loved finding Mr. Morris' details which in turn inspired my son and I to write something of our own to be discovered by the next decorator.


6 comments:

  1. That's a great story! One day somebody will be just as excited to get your note. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope someone will find my note and be as thrilled as we were finding that little circle on the wall. I have another post in the works about something similar, stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. I remember writing a poem about my mother on the wall we were stripping and then later wall papered over ...
      and now as I contemplate moving I know someone else will discover it.

      Delete
    3. Hi Julie. I'm sure the person who finds your poem will be delighted. When we first started our restoration we kept finding the name Alec written everywhere. It was quite a mystery, and then one day and older gentleman showed up and told us he once lived here and so we immediately asked him who Alec was and it turned out to be his childhood friend! I think finding these things makes the place come alive. You don't often find social history like that, and that makes the discoveries so much more interesting.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Ho! I received the most wonderful Neruda poem! Something will be coming your way soon, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I'm glad you liked the poem. I look forward to hearing from you!

      Delete