Thursday, 12 March 2015

 
                                       Stamp Release 
The Royal Mail released it's stamp offering for March which highlights bridges, on the 5th .  They didn't have any left by the time I got into town on the following Tuesday so I'll have to order mine from Royal Mail. I can see why they were a sell-out design. I'm particulary interested in the Pultney Bridge over the River Avon which is in Bath for you other Jane Austen enthusiasts. I've been there and the Bridge is different from the others because there are shops lined across the bridge on both sides to give the illusion of walking down a street. I took this photo when I was there several years ago, and I'm not sure why I didn't take a snap looking down the “street” of the bridge. Next time I go I will do that!
 
 
Pultney Bridge

The stamps feature bridges that show "the leaps in engineering" of these structures from the modest stone spans to the more complicated feats of engineering. Each of the stamps represents a a new milestone in bridge building beginning with  A 15th or 16th century gritstone clapper- bridge and ending with the Peace Bridge, River Foyle. A 235-metre causeway for pedestrians and cyclists constructed in 2011.



2 comments:

  1. Your photo is postcard picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was drizzly and overcast that day but there was so much to see. The Roman Bath there is amazing. I'd like to go back as we just didn't have enough time to see everything.

    ReplyDelete