Friday, 14 November 2014

Pretty As A Picture

It's raining here today so I have been looking through the box of clippings I use for mail art. I save anything and everything from magazines, newspapers, calendars and junk mail to recycle into mail art or collages. I didn't know what I wanted to do today, so I thought I'd just look through the box for inspiration.
 
I started out making some envelopes, then got bored with that and did a bit of collage work on some envelopes. I wanted to do something different, though, but what? I thought if I sifted through my ephemera box, something would come to me, it usually does, and I go happily off on a tangent creating something else. Today, I found myself looking out the window and daydreaming rather than making mail art. Just one of those days, I guess. Then I half-heartedly went back to my box of paper odds and ends and aimlessly picked through it, stopping to look at random things and then I began to look at some of the clippings a little differently.
 
I normally like to do image collages: butterflies, flowers, fish and that sort of thing so I save a lot of whole pages just so I can get the colours and textures I want. Oftentimes the colour on the pages inspires me to create something. Today, however, I started looking at the whole page and decided to look at things the other way around, a bit like Alice Through the Looking Glass. I took a few pages from the box and instead of cutting out bits to paste on the envelope, I put the whole page on the envelope and just cut openings for addresses. Sort of framing, you could say. I did simple things at first then got creative and used more of the pages so the envelopes would look more vivid.

I got a bit more daring then and just started gluing images that would completely cover the front of the envelope. They were colourful and I made several of those. There seemed to be some space to write the address of the person I would send the letter to and that way I wouldn't have to put a label on and interrupt the scene. I rather like these new envelopes. What do you think?





1 comment: