Friday, 30 May 2014



Some of the blogs I read have been talking about rubber stamps so I've been looking through my collection. Eons ago a friend and I would get together and create, but when I moved to England all my things got packed away and I haven't done anything with them in a long time. I have a fishing tackle box that opens up to three tiers to store my stamps in, it makes it easy to see everything at a glance.  When I started reading about rubber stamps on blogs I got out my things and had a good rummage to see what I had.

Limner over at Oh, write me! has been talking about carving stamps. I've never done this and felt a little intimidated by it but Limner proposed a swap so I thought I would give it a try. I save old corks, I always thought I would make a cork board from them but I'll save that project for another time. I chose a champagne cork as it was bigger and I figured there was room to save the image if I made a mistake. Choosing something to carve on the stamp wasn't as easy as I thought. Even simple designs start to get complicated when you begin cutting. In the end I decided on a ladybug. I just got a new exacto knife and I had a pointy tool in my bag of tricks that looked like it may be of use and that is all I really needed. I drew my design then transferred it onto the cork. There was writing on the end of the cork and I probably should have sliced a bit off to give me a clear surface but I wasn't sure how clean the cork would slice and didn't want to waste it so I thought I would just go for it. I probably should have forgone the antennae, I know ladybugs don't really have them but I thought it made my stamp more interesting. It made it a heck of a lot more difficult too. The first stamp I cut came out pretty good actually. It was a bit frayed around the edges, but not bad for a first attempt. I got another cork and made some adjustments that I thought would make the cutting easier and the second try looks all right, so that will go in the post to Limner and I hope she will like it.

I think I may just continue on and try to carve more stamps. I'd like to try carving an eraser as well as lino and see how they compare. I'll keep you posted on progress.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Anna! I love it! Your stamp puts mine to shame, but I comfort myself with knowing that I did my best. It will get better with doing. I have invested my pen money in this new venture, therefore, better results are in my future. :)

    I will never ever toss another champagne cork. And, a magnifier is in my immediate future.

    It's funny how I never cared for carving and printing in art classes. I much preferred drawing and painting. That's changed now. You've opened me up to a new medium. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated by the cork at first, but I reallly got into it. I have a bag of corks so I will do more. I'm not sure what designs but I like the idea of making my own stamps. The Champagne corks have a little knob at the end to give good grip so I will probably continue using those. You should be receiving the ladybug stamp any time now. Let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have a cork tale to share with you soon, I hope. I packed the last cork stamp last night, thinking I'd mail it today but was too tired at the end of my day.

    I so look forward to meeting your ladybug! Thank you. Hope you like my tries! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to get your stamp! Right now I'm dithering over which pretty bag or fabulous magazine page I have stashed away to send you.

    ReplyDelete